Thursday, June 16, 2011

Map of the Week-Recycled Africa

Anouk Zijlma is a travel writer who has lived in Africa and writes about it for About.com. She made this 4 foot high map of Africa from recycled tin cans. Her description follows:
 

The cans I used were specific to each country. I took into consideration team soccer colors, exports, favorite beers, and many of my personal experiences. The best oranges I ever tasted growing up came from South Africa. Nigeria drinks more Guinness than Ireland. Botswana exports diamonds and Zimbabwe exports flowers. The ocean was created from hundreds of Pepsi cans. All the cans are washed, cut and then nailed into wood. The only tools I needed was a hammer, small nails, a National Geographic map for accuracy, scissors, carbon paper and a friendly recycling plant.

No comments: